Welcome to Room 205!
My name is Jim Nannemann and I am honored to be your child's teacher this year. I have been teaching in Minneapolis since 1995 and I have been at Northrop since 2003. I am a graduate of the University of Iowa, but after spending 4 years in another profession, I went back to school and received my teaching certification from the University of Minnesota. While pursuing this, I had the privilege of student teaching at Northrop! I also have a Master's Degree in Education from St. Mary's University.
In addition to having a great group of students, I have a wonderful family. I am married to a fellow teacher and we have 2 sons, who are both Northrop Wood Ducks! Our youngest is a newly minted 7th grade and our oldest is beginning his second year of high school. We live in South Minneapolis with a labradoodle named Gandalf. Outside of school, I enjoy music, the visual arts, writing, reading, traveling, and most of all, spending quality time with my family.
Students who have access to a computer at home will be expected to put time into Dreambox, in addition to what we do using computers at school and their regular homework to reinforce learned skills.
On this site, you will find information about me, homework, and even an extra PDF copy of our class reading log that you can print off at home. I will also include information about current and upcoming school/class events, as well as pictures of activities that we will be participating in throughout the school year. You may use the links below for items that you may find interesting.
During the school year, we use the Benchmark Achieve curriculum, in whole-class readings and small reading groups. Inferencing, context clues, as well as using QAR reading strategies continue to be the focuses of our reading. Students will also work in small "Book Clubs" discussing and writing about chapter books that are assigned to them. Students will also use Words Their Way Spelling. Extra copies of her/his spelling list or homework, as well as an extra Reading Log, can be found to the right for links where you can print of copies at home. Please check the Scholastic Book Wizard link below for book suggestions at your child's Guided Reading Level.
I hope that you find the information provided on our class website useful and enjoyable!
All the Best,
Below are links to various activities throughout the school year:
- Here is a useful link that students may use for the various class projects that we do in Room 205: Google Classroom.
- Here is a copy of our weekly READING LOG that you may print off as needed.
- If your child wishes to use any of the online academic programs that we use in Room 205 she/he may use their student login through: CLEVER
- or through the links below.
- MyOn Reading Program
- LEXIA Core5 Reading Program
- Interested in improving your Math skills? Go to Dreambox an online Math Program students use at school and at home.
- If you are interested in finding books at your Independent Reading Level, or you are curious about what level the book that you are reading is, you may wish to go to Scholastic Book Wizard. Follow the directions and enter the book that you want to find out about in the space provided. Before clicking "Search" make sure that you select the appropriate "Reading Level System." In our case, that would be GUIDED READING.
- Trouble finding things to do over the weekend? Go to Fun Activity Guide for suggestions!
Click here for 2021 5th Grade Graduation Video
Click below for additional resources.