Creativity stARTs here
Welcome to Art!
Hello families, My name is Avion Sookdeo, I have been teaching Visual Arts at Northrop since 2017. I am originally from Trinidad, West Indies where I first taught high school Drafting and Design. After moving to Minnesota, I earned a B.S in Interior Design from The AI Int'l MN and a M. Ed. in Visual Art Ed. from the University of MN. Prior to joining Northrop, I taught art in grades Pre-K through 5 at St. Paul Academy and Summit Lower School and in the Minnetonka public school district.
~Art Class will cover standards-based content which will emphasize on cultivating student’s skills that include creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking. Projects will encompass different aspects of art that will connect with the elements and principles of design and your child will learn about different artists and art techniques.
- Visual Thinking Strategies, Critique & Art history: by looking at art to learn about other cultures, places, artists, works of art and art styles.
- Aesthetics: by talking about art to discuss meanings, ideas, feelings, and moods.
- Art Production: making art to create expressive visual images.
~My goal is to make art a fun, productive and successful experience for your child. I am committed to fostering a safe, positive environment to help children’s creativity thrive and to promote lifelong habits of mind that can enable them to extend their learning even further. Your child's art will be kept safe in the art room and for display reasons. Art will be sent home periodically throughout the year.
I look forward to a wonderful year of art!
“Anything You Can Imagine Is Real” ~ Pablo Picasso
~ At home at anytime or on break you can continue to encourage your child to do any extra drawing and painting that they like or do observational drawing, for example:
- Using any found object, they can observe and draw what they see, such as a pencil, spoon or an apple.
- Go outside and explore nature, they can observe anything they see and draw.
- Or after reading a book, they can draw a character or draw part of the story using their imagination.
~ See below are also some fun educational YouTube channels and websites which you can use for some ideas for drawing or engaging videos for all!